Wednesday 2 February 2011

Training your brain to run long.

Today's run was 15 miles. The plan today, was to "feel the fear, and do it anyway". In practice this meant, making the 15 miles mentally tough, and doing it anyway. Last week Lowri and I discussed advice she had been given by a sports psychologist to make her training mentally very demanding, to prepare her for the difficulties she will face completing her arctic ultra marathon. For example, running a hilly long run, then returning home and sitting down for 30 minutes inside, then heading out to do the whole thing again. To be able to do that, you've got to be really hard mentally and emotionally.

My run today consisted of 3 x 5 mile laps, including several steep hills. I started from the house, and actually went inside after the first lap for a couple of minutes. On the second lap I just passed the front door, but didn't go inside. It was easier than I expected, but still a challenge mentally. I couldn't quite bring myself to go in and sit down for half an hour in between laps, but knowing I could stop at 5 and 10 miles, was still difficult.

My legs had nothing in them today, and felt like jelly on each uphill. I kept telling myself that they would recover on every downhill, so to keep going and wait for the recovery. I did stop a couple of times, but got going again.

These last few days of hard training are dragging by. If I can only make sure I stay injury free, then I'll be winning that battle at least. Another 65 miles to go this week, 10 of them tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment