Tuesday 15 June 2010

A Revelation

I am amazed at the capacity of the human body.

I ran 30 miles on Saturday, on Monday I went for a 5 mile run at just over 10 min miles, and I survived! Not just survived I actually feel better for having run.

For the last 4 years I have believed that running during the week after a marathon is not a good idea, running more than 23 miles in training is not a good idea, and that running very heavy mileage is not a good idea. Well, I think I need to forget all that advice!

Seriously though, I am chuffed that my legs are feeling so good after the ultra at the weekend. I think there are various reasons for that. I covered the course at an average of 13.15mm, which in reality means that I was running at anything between 10 to 12.30mm, and walking the rest. There were also large stops during the run for checkpoints and refuelling. I didn't feel like I was running hard, although by 28 miles my legs were stiff and tired and holding good form was a real challenge. I think I also got the fuelling right. Every time I started to feel hungry Lynne was there with a flapjack. Although I need to look into salty snacks, because by 25 miles in that heat I was really starting to crave salt. A friend last night suggested hula hoops, which is definitely worth a try, because I could stick them on my fingers and lick the salt off! I have spent the last 5 years running and walking for up to 5 hours a day, that is what my body is used to. All I need to do now, is persuade it to do it quicker and for slightly longer.

I am ready to throw out the advice I have been running to for the marathons I have completed so far, and listen to my body. Now it's time to push as hard as my body will allow and see what I can do.......... it's so exciting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment